I was so excited to receive a copper water bottle for Christmas this year. Drinking from a copper vessel is an ancient Ayurvedic practice. While I don’t particularly follow Ayurveda, I have become more curious about it. So I thought this would be an easy and interesting practice to incorporate into my life. Here are 5 reasons to drink from a copper water bottle.
1. Copper Is an Essential Micro-Nutrient
The body needs this element in order to perform healthfully, however, it cannot make copper on its own. We get copper from certain dietary sources, and drinking water from a copper water bottle is another way to meet this need.
2. It Kills Bacteria
A research study found that certain bacteria such as E. coli, Samonella, and more were completely eliminated from water that was stored in a copper pot for 16 hours at room temperature.
3. It Creates Alkaline Water
In the same study referenced earlier, they also discovered that the pH level of the water rose after being stored in copper pots. A variety of studies have shown different potential health benefits to drinking alkaline water such as lowered cholesterol, blood glucose, and blood pressure, neutralized stomach acid (to treat acid reflux), and reduced risk of cognitive decline in elderly people.
4. Copper Can Help With Anemia
Copper is required for adequate iron metabolism and the formation of red blood cells. Those who struggle with anemia may see an improvement with increased copper consumption. As someone who constantly deals with low iron, I was especially interested in this one.
5. Copper Supports Your Immune System
Scientists have learned that copper and the immune system is linked, but they’re not yet sure exactly how. Copper deficiencies and low-copper diets were shown to impair the immune system while copper supplementation increased white blood cell abilities.
I fill my copper water bottle with tap water each evening allowing it to sit at room temperature overnight. I drink one bottle worth throughout the following morning. Then I leave it to fill and soak overnight again for the next day.
As with almost anything, too much copper can be dangerous. An excess of copper is extremely rare though. The study from above showed that having water sit in copper for 16 hours was still well within the healthy amount (900 μg/day is recommended and 10,000 is the upper intake level for adults).
Have you heard of or tried drinking water from a copper water bottle?