As we move further into January, the excitement and enthusiasm of the new year begins to wane. Chances are that you have slipped up on your New Year’s resolutions or had a false start on a goal (I know I have). This does not mean you or I have failed or that we won’t ever be able to achieve those things. It simply means we’re human. If you are in need of a little extra encouragement, I want to invite you to become your own biggest cheerleader. Here are 10 affirmations to kick start the New Year back into high gear.
10 Affirmations to Kick Start the New Year
1. I cannot control what happens to me, but I can control my attitude.
2. I make time for what is important to me. (Take this further and specify what it is and when you make time for it.)
3. It’s never too late to change, and I believe that I can change.
4. I believe in myself regardless of other people’s opinions.
5. I do the best I can, and I am satisfied with that.
6. I am willing to be my authentic self around other people.
7. I can sit with my feelings – happy, sad, angry, scared, or otherwise.
8. I have the power to make myself feel good.
9. I am open to receiving support from others.
10. I love to love and to be loved.
I created an acronym to remember how get the most out of an affirmation. The key is to make it an OASIS.
O – out loud – actually say it to yourself
A – affirmative – “I am…” rather than “I’m not…”
S – sincere – adjust to “I am learning…” or “I am in the process of…” if necessary
I – in the present tense – it’s not going to happen later, make it now
S – specific – makes it more meaningful and measurable
I have written about the power of affirmations before. Studies have shown that self-affirmation improves problem solving, enhances performance, and increases receptiveness to mistakes. If you want to harness this power in your own life for 2017, simply choose the affirmation that you feel the the most connected to. Tell it to yourself daily, put it on a post-it note and display it, or journal about what it means to you.
Which affirmation resonated the most with you? Do you have other affirmations to kick start the New Year?
PS – If you haven’t yet, please take a few minutes to fill out the 10 question Second Annual Reader Survey. Thank you!